"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Saturday, October 4, 2008

To be or not to be?



Have you experienced one of those moments in life that everything that comes to your road is pointing to one subject?

Some call it synchronicity, some call it pure coincidence...and a particular friend of mine thinks the whole thing is because a person is sensitive to that subject at that moment of time, therefore she notices it more frequent but the frequency of happening it, is exactly like always....

I do belong to the camp of synchronicity....but in all honesty most of the time I think "WHO CARES WHAT IS THE REASON. IT IS HAPPENING AND THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE"!

So in last couple of weeks, I hear sentences like this so often:
"Oh you are pregnant with your second one, how brave you are!", "I am not sure how can I bring kids to this world. Look at the situation in the world, the recession, the genocide, Darfur...", "I think I have to have full self awareness before become a parent", "Kudos to you, you are really brave to put your heart for more anxiety, heartbreak and fear out there", "with this terrible world, I am so fearful to become a parent".....and so on.

Interestingly I hear these things from strangers in the grocery shop, patients in my clinic, my acquaintances, my friends and even read them in different blogs (mommy blogs and non mommy blogs)!

The whole thing put me in a loop, one of those that you think and think and think and then you realize you just went so deep that you don't even know which way is up and which way down?!


Today a patient told me something that made me come out of my loop and have an answer to it all...at least an answer for myself. She said: "I am always afraid if one day in the future the child will tell me: why did you bring me to life? What is so good about it when there is so much terrible things around us".

Believe it or not, I am not that much out of touch with disasters in our world. Not only by nature I lean toward pessimism - believe it or not! - but thanks to my profession I come in touch with unbearable individuals' suffering: from people as young as 3 years old kids battling with sever terminal cancer, to men and women in their prime of life going through blindness and so much more thanks to MS, to people that are hitting the bottom of the abyss of depression, to a wife that witnesses his husband disappears right in front of her eyes after 45 years of marriage thanks to Alzheimer's.....I see men and women at any age, healthy in body and sick in mind, go through many different kind of addictions and throw away what ever time they have on this earth.

I am not blind to the cruelty of our race, to the rape and genocide that happens ALL the time at one part or the other of this planet we call home. My heart aches for the children that are being sold right at this minute as I am typing these meaningless words. I go to a rage with the thought of child abduction and child slavery. I feel a sinking sensation every time that I think of the women that has to sell themselves to bring food for their children....

I am aware of the pressure that still is on women...no matter which part of the world they live in. Some are as obvious as in Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia and some are as hidden as in US, Canada and Europe.

It is a long time now that I realized that human race is the most cruel and senseless of all the animals...a race that can kill another human so merciless, or worse than that, a race that can torture and abuses another being in every sense of the word....

I also live in this world that the cost of life is going to the roof, that soon we will need a wheelbarrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread....I am living in the same world that politicians are talking sweet and acting cruel, in the same world that the word "patriotism" is being used so carelessly and as a mean for any action, in the same land that freedom is just a myth and deep down the fear rules us all....

I live in this world that "Machiavelli" would have been so proud of his "Prince" every day of the year. I am breathing the same dingy air of lie, deceit and corruption. I am living in the same society that the race to gain power is the highest nobility of humanity, a world that intolerance for the individual rights for life is nothing but poetry.....

Shall I go on my friends?....

Believe me, I am not telling you all this to persuade you to become a parent. I am as "pro choice" as it comes, for EVERYTHING IN LIFE. I believe people make choices for their lives and all of those choices deserves the highest respect of all, even if we disagree...especially if we disagree!

Most of the time I question the actions and not the intention. So I am the advocate of choice no question in it. Those that know me well, know that I actually believe, WITH ALL MY HEART, that not everyone needs to be a parent - or should be for that matter- in order to fulfill their lessons in life. We come to this world for a reason or two and not necessarily that means we have to bare children of our own or care for any child at all to fulfill our "destiny" - what ever this controversial word means!

But I am going through all these meaningless words one after another to ask you only one point:

Have you ever looked at sunrise? did a sunset ever took your breath away? Have you smelled a flower and felt mesmerized by it? Did you listen to the silence of the nature and think of the grandness of it all? Have you looked at "Botticelli's primavera", listened to "Moonlight sonata" and gazed in the vision of "Gaudi" and felt in awe of the ability of another human being? Did you think of mother Theresa and her unbelievable selflessness despite the deceit of the religion, the abyss of her depression and the darkness of the world? Have you looked up in the starry night and went to a silent prayer for the vastness of the world?

Have you ever fell in love? Did you feel the ache of every cell of your body in the yearning of touching the hands of the beloved? Have you gazed in the eyes of the lover and sank in there for all eternity? Did you ever feel love...even if it was supposed to come to an end one day in the near or distant future?

If the answer to any of these is "yes"...then my friend, do you think was it fair for you to miss this "life"? Was it better for you to not have been born? did you prefer to miss the feeling of LOVE in ANY shape or form?

After all:


"Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain."




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

“To be” Mommy homeopath, ALWAYS “TO BE”!
Even when we are cursing and swearing because we are alive; even when "being" is the toughest thing to do. Still “to be”!!!

I understood your point and being from one of those people that is not ready or do not know when will be ready to be a mother, I cherished your "pro choice" side and did not felt you are pressuring the parenthood cause. You just simply brought up a very deep point for all of us, regardless of the choice of being a parent or not.

Truly enjoyed your post,
A reader

Anonymous said...

Well said “a reader”!
I totally agree with “always to be”!
But I have to admit, being very involved in organizations that deal with Darfur and like…I can confess something to all of you. There are moments, sometimes very frequent of them, that I feel “to be” is not a good option for everyone on this planet. Granted that is the result of man made “hell” for most of the tenants of this earth.
Having said that: Still “to be” is getting my highest cheers!
Another poetic and very deep philosophic post, mommy homeopath!
I do believe that you can write with so much passion about love and beauty and so much more only because you for sure know very deeply about suffering. I am sure of it. And that makes you a very amazing woman, a loving and wise mom and I bet a very good homeopath!
Humor lover

Anonymous said...

...the note made me cry again. I agree that to-be is self-described: "to-be.” What makes me sad is the life container of this "being" that is getting way out of its natural shape and in some cases non-existent. There are poor people in Darfur or Darfur-like places all around the world. While beauty and its appreciation may mean different things to these “beings,” I believe they experience life in different dimension in the context of their container, not by their choice, but by mystery of whatever meta-force or simply the power of chaos that made the “to-be.” It does not make any difference...At the end their harsh – and out of shape - containers squeeze these “beings” from all sides with no respect of their "being" and often crush them to “not-being” mentally or physically. There are others who left with no container and wondering hopelessly to find “one” without knowing that the emptiness is their destined non-container that defines their “being” due to the fact they are robbed from their container without their knowledge. I guess human "being" simply intended to be collective and caring to join their containers for a greater good which blossom wonderful lives of “beings”. It is no surprise that today, the less natural “container” which we have created for ourselves or left for us is less receptive to “being” due to its less natural characteristics to the point that sometimes we doubt the concept of "being" or afraid of bringing a new "being"...I am an optimistic person but I have to say it is so sad to see what is happening around us...The only bright point is to see “being(s)” to think natural.

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear “a reader”,
Thank you for your kind and generous comment. I am TRULY happy that my post did not come across as the “advocate of parenthood” which indeed is not my line of thinking in life
Be well friend

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi Humor lover,
In that confession I am with you. Being familiar with Darfur….there are times that in total sadness I do think “Being might be a big question mark”…
You are kind to me as a woman, mother and a homeopath…too kind cyber friend
Thanks for stopping by

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear Peace,
WOW!
I could never say it better. Were should I start in replying to you?
I particularly was very impressed with the separation of “being” and “the container”. It is so true what you said about Darfur and Darfur –like places and that
“While beauty and its appreciation may mean different things to these “beings,” I believe they experience life in different dimension in the context of their container, not by their choice…”
I particularly was intrigued by your implication that “being” and “the container” of the being is not necessarily by choice. The concept of choice is something that I am always attracted to. Personally deep in my core there is the tag of war between the degree of the choice in the concept of “being”. At this point in my life, I do follow the school of thought that believe souls do choose coming to this earth and even in some extend choose the environment and the time of their being…to be able to fulfill their “lessons”. So if we follow that thought, each soul actually did decide to “be” and the parents are merely the alter that allows them to come and follow their path as best as they can AND choose.

What you called “the container” of this BEING, was extremely interesting for me. It reminded me of “David Bohm” and his work and writings which you might be familiar with.

You are right, the concept of beauty, appreciation for being and even love, can have such a different meaning for being in different containers. I mean realistically what can one say to the women in Afghanistan that are prison of the society, the culture and the politic? To smell the rose and enjoy the sunset!!!!!

Unity and Oneness is ultimately what humanity is after…consciously or subconsciously….

Thank you so much for visiting and for leaving your foot prints. I truly enjoyed your comment.

Be happy and healthy

Anonymous said...

Hi Mommy Homeopath,
Well first thing is that I think there is something in the air and those sentences are really more frequent than usual. I have a pregnant friend which was telling me last week about hearing them also.
I think it is because of this disastrous Economy, the recession or Depression, the fear of loosing jobs and therefore the income and home... or any other doom and gloom that is touching the first world countries and the people in them are feeling what the rest of the world was feeling for such a long time: The SADNESS AND FEAR!

Having said that: you know by now I am mother of two so for me for sure “TO BE”!

Maybe it comes from my selfishness, but to be honest here, I feel the biggest challenge for any woman to be a mother is to put her heart out there for heartbreak and anxiety. I mean whether it is the most minor cuts to the major stuff. As an example, this nasty virus of cold/flue is in our household now and I can tell you with every sneeze my heart went up and down.

The mother from the moment of being pregnant is worry for someone else, someone that you can never protect as much as you really desire, because that is life. To put your heart out there, to put out there for being broken all the time with any minor discomfort of the child – well that need a courage!

Well that makes me a selfish being possibly. But I am a simple woman, living a simple life in my own cocoon. I know about all the sadness in the world in the extend of what media tells me. I am not a courageous woman to be involved in the world crisis. I wish I could, but to put my act together and make a home for my family that is my challenge in life.
I hope you and your family are well dear Momma Homeopath
Eve

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi sweet Eve,
There is a reason that I call you “sweet” so many times in my replies. There is sweetness in your honesty.
I do not think you are selfish. I think you hit the nail there with one shot. I know so well what you mean by a mother’s heart be out there for any heartbreak and anxieties.
I cheer your “simple” life and your “simple” womanhood. I think that simplicity is the most complicated thing in the world
Be well

P.S.: I hope your household is clean of that nasty cold. We are also dealing with it in last couple of weeks too. It is one persistence “being”!