"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Friday, November 28, 2008

This one is HIS story not mine….

Somehow the time of the year that falls under Scorpio sign, does not agree with me!

For so many reasons that most of them are as old as my soul, I feel miserable in this glorious period of time. Either it is the strong aversion that I have to the influence of Planet Mars; or the mighty Hedas, the lord of the underworld, which does not agree with my shadow that much; or because of all the memories of doom and gloom that somehow echo for me in this month…or maybe, just maybe it is simply because of the lack of sunlight and all the grey days that come with this time of the year – after all not everything HAS to have a deep spiritual meaning, ha???!!!!!!

Scorpio came and passed this year and I survived it one more time - although it was a tough tough month for me. Somehow the energy of misery, even if it is just in your mind, can bring more hardship one way or another. Apart from being unbelievably busy day and night for many different reasons – which made me realize that I literally do not have as much energy as I had years ago (and lets not forget the belly that is growing and truly takes me off my balance every step of the way) - everyone in the household (including Oma and Opa that are visiting us) were sick with viral cold… not once but twice! So as soon as one round of cold was over the second round started and somehow I ended up being the last person in each series and with being pregnant and all, at the end my body just totally collapsed from absolute and pure exhaustion!

In all honesty the concept of physical exhaustion is not that familiar to me. As much as I am personally very familiar with mental and emotional exhaustion and somehow can write volumes of book about it, the concept of “body” gives up was very foreign to me. I guess it is time to admit it loud and clear: I AM AGED!

But this particular Scorpio time of the year brought another milestone for little boss and me!


Little boss started his toddler program. To say that I “agonized” for days and night in last few months over this milestone, is just putting it mildly. In all fairness the "agonize" part mostly had to do with the shadow that follows me personally since I was a little girl…..

The little boss’s program is the first step in the type of the education that my better half and I chose for our children. For now it is 3 hours in the morning and the first two weeks was supposed to be transitional. That meant, I had the “back to school” tune in my days!

Little boss and I attended the classes and I participated in his class – mostly like a shadow- so he will get use to it and all. By nature and by profession I did what I do the best in life: Deeply observe.


Looking at all these little toddlers and the way that they interact with their surroundings, how each and every one of them cope with the concept of “separation anxiety” and change in their daily routine of life, how the adults look at these little ones and try their best to assist them…and above all how the adults deal with their own shadows.

According to all the teachers and professionals in the school, little boss handled himself really amazing…so good that they told me the transitional period can be only 4 days for him. The class has a one way window that parents can drop by at any time and stand there as long as they want and see what is happening with their kids. That can give you a clue that how I did spend most of my days of the remaining 2 weeks. After all what the teachers were perceiving as “little boss is adjusting grate” was little bit different than what I was perceiving.

I am not sure is it a curse or a blessing - personally I think it is not a blessing even if it won’t be a curse....Little boss internalizes his emotions and only shows the raw form of it to me the most and then my better half and in some extend to Oma and Opa.

As I am typing these words I shake my head in sadness because I just hear the voice of everyone: “He is just like his mommy….OH MY GOD! How much he takes after you….WOW! it is like looking at little you….” And this internalizing part is exactly what comes from my glorious gene pool. I learned to internalize all my emotions (fears, anxieties etc.…) since the early age of 3 or 4. The little boss is doing it at least for a year now and God knows how much I am trying to teach and encourage him to “Let it out!”….

So not like most of the kids in the same boat; he did not scream, he did not cry, he did not kick and protest that he does not want to go in….they did not have to push the mommy and daddy out of the door and hold the child in. My little boss listened to me very carefully when I told him “is that OK with you to stay here today without mommy? Let me know if that is not OK with you…. Mommy will come back very soon and pick you up and we can go home... and until then you can play with Mrs…….”….

He stood up straight, squeezed my hand hard, pushed his head to my face when I was kissing him and whispering to him how much I love him… and then he let go of my fingers and went into the class with his teacher – chin up and body tensed. I ran out of the door and went behind the window that already became my best friend in the world…and watched.

I watched EVERYTHING….every time that a muscle in his body tightened, every glance that he threw toward the door, every time that he stood in the middle of the class in silence…. and I keep note of the fact that he did not chat AT ALL – my very very chatty boy!

I watched every time that one of the teachers with so much care came to him and tried to introduce him to a new activity…and I watched how my little boss most of the time followed the teacher and did his part in the whole thing…..and then when the time came for me to pick him up, I would go to the door and would watch him running into my arms and kissing me and chats all they way back home about the things that he did (mostly the highlights in his perception) – and he did not know that I watched every minute of it- and in between each sentence he would tell me “I Yove You SOOOOOO Much Mamma”!...and I would react as if this is the very first time I become aware of his daily activity and “OH MY GOD, how proud I am of you…such a good boy…I LOVE YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH”…..

And the day after and the day after…and every day they told me “OH MY GOD! He is adjusting so amazingly….” And every day I saw the rule of the universe: we might control our fears and emotions at one place but inevitably it will catch up with us sooner or later.

Little boss would come home and from that moment on, he DID NOT want to let go of me. I HAD to be with him ALL THE TIME…he had to play with his toys and mamma had to sit there and cheer him or just simply breathe and be present…. The tantrums and nagging and cry over everything and nothing….The “I want this, I want that, I don’t want this, I don’t want that”… the 5 times during the night waking up and crying “where is mamma? I want mamma”….

And the morning would come and it was a brand new day once again….


On the way to school he is so happy and telling me what he will do again. It seems that he truly enjoys his school, I can not debate that part what so ever….and still the impact of all the changes in his routine of life and the influence of the steps toward becoming an independent being in the world, show itself in the afternoon and night….the total NEED to have Mamma close by, the absolute life line of “mommy hold me”, “In mommy’s arm”…

We are dealing with him going through all that as best as we know how. He is trying to process and cope as well as going through terrible two and the cherry on the top I guess is the nasty viral cold that somehow loves our household and for sure has the intense effect on his mood!

Above being affected as HIS mother, the whole ordeal punched my psyche and heart in the places that carry deep open wounds…

I attended daycare/ Kindergarten, very very early in life and through all my childhood. I would have given SO much to not go to those places. God knows how much I wished for my mom or a family member to take care of me…. You have NO idea.


One of the earliest memories in my life is crying so profoundly and deeply when my mom was dropping me at the daycare. I can remember her back toward me walking out of the door. I still remember it like it was yesterday. My parents carry a huge guilt for all that. I think I came to a peace with the whole ordeal but until 5-6 years ago, I was truly bitter by the whole experience.

I think the choice of me staying home after becoming a mom, was partly- not all of it but partly - because of this whole ordeal. When I was a little girl, I wowed to myself that I will not bring a child to this world, if that child has to go through that much loneliness and forsaken feeling that I felt.

I can tell you my experience during the whole kindergarten- or whatever name it had- was PURE HELL. I hated it with passion... Interestingly no one could ever understand me because everyone in our family and circle of friends was in the same situation and they seemed “NORMAL”!

So years and years after that when finally I opened up and showed all the wounds that I had and all the scars that I carried because of the whole ordeal, my parents’ feeling was the combination of guilt and the fact that they did not know what else they could have done at the time, with being both full time at work and no other alternative…

So the last few months I agonized of the prospect of my baby going through a similar experience. The thought of him crying in pain while I have to leave him behind and go, was a nightmare that I had and yet I knew I am doing the best at this time and choosing the most nurturing way to prepare him to stand up on his own….

What I did not imagine was his silent reaction, his choice of carrying it all within for that three whole hours…an eternity for two years old! What I did not count on was how to deal with my little boss trying so hard to face the challenge so bravely and with superhuman effort for his very young age and loose all his control for the rest of the day and night….

Now I wish he would have cried. There are still good number of kids in the same class that started their course in September and yet every morning they cry and scream from 30-45 minutes. I know because I am watching them from my beloved window! The better half teases me that very soon the school will charge us half of the tuition fee because of my amazing attendance behind the window! But it is only his third week and let’s not forget that it is not only the little boss who is going through the separation anxiety, mamma also has her share of this emotion at this time (and this time around, the separation anxiety is because of being separated from my baby)!

Now I know very clearly, all the worries and anxieties were part of my story not his. I, on my part, used all the superhuman efforts in the world to not allow my story influences his…to not allow him pick up on my fears and apprehension. For now, I am waiting for him to choose his way and unfold his story just the way he wishes. The only thing I can do is to try to smooth the harsh edges for him…and maybe, just maybe I make his experience in life more cheerful and magical than mine……or at least less lonely than mine!

One thing is very clear: his milestone; regardless of what it is; will always be a shining star for me in the month of Scorpio….any memory attached to him is something that I cherish with all my heart and soul…and this particular one had a voluble lesson for me. It showed me that some wounds will start to heal, even if many many many years are passed...just by watching him going through his days....just by watching him....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dear Mommy, Moving and touching post as usual.Great post . loved it.
Sorry this might sound like iam advising you but i am trying to tell from my experience.My comment is along lines of do's and don'ts. In my case The do's were never done and don'ts were regulary done by my parents..

I think every individual has a set of people in his mind ,whom he can{subconsciously} never get himself to dissapoint.Your little boss probably knows very well you dont like to see him suffering and so he doesnt want to show any suffering{I know its inappropriate to use suffering here but iam sure u wil get gist of what i am trying to say.}So what do you do? try to make him believe his suffering doesnt affect you?NOOOO.That might make him feel you dont care. Its a delicate balance.{I am thinking as i am Typing}Maybe you could try to create a positive atmosphere all the time.Never make him feel guilty when he makes a mistake even when he grows up into his teens.If he makes a mistake he should never feel"how can I show my face to my wonderful mother". He should never feel need to lie to you.Never compare him with others.Never ask or make him feel the need to make you proud parents in the society.Beating scolding are all crap.. The real big punishment a parent can give to their child is GUILT. Minimise it. you may inadvertently make him feel guilty when there is no need to.Not just by words,But also by Body language.. Manage and control what you say and show. Because this GUILT goes a long way in affecting his psychology.Think deeply about this aspect.I just said a few things that came to my mind.Sorry If I sound preachy.And never show him your depressed version or chant about karma and ill fate and stuff..

I know you most probably are aware of what all I said. But sometimes its ideas from outside restart a brain in case its just stuck or something.. Thats all..

Good Luck to you and Little Boss.

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi Cupid,
Thank you for stopping by again and thank you for leaving your footprints….

There is one sentence in your comment that I agree with totally and that is “The real big punishment a parent can give to their child is GUILT.”…It made me wonder: did my post send the massage that I do feel guilty? So I went and I read my post and I found lots of things including spelling and grammar mistakes - :):):) – but in no way I found anything that shows the guilt on my part. But let me just clear it up here anyway:
Generally speaking, I think guilt is one of the most disruptive emotions for any human – regardless of the effect on the others or not. And mostly (not always) people feel guilty when “they believe” that they are doing something wrong especially if there is no other choice for them but the one that “they perceive” is wrong.
In my case with little boss, I feel lots of emotions over this millstone, but non of the emotions is guilt. I know and believe that this is the right step for him. I also made a choice to take this step and at this time. So no reason for guilt. But the feeling is like when a mother see and feel the pain and agony of “teething” for her baby and can not do anything but let him (and her along with him) go through it. The milestone is necessary, the tooth has to come out and the pain is associated with this right of passage. There is lots of sadness on mother’s part to see her baby go through so much pain – and I can tell you some times it is lots of pain – but still that is life and actually it is a beautiful step in life.

As for little boss try to not make me sad…well that theory would have been helpful if this was his first time internalizing his emotion. Unfortunately he does it for almost 6-9 months and the history shows when he does that the issue are not really something that is realated to “not want to make mamma and daddy sad or upset or disappointed”. The desire to please will not really develop in children until they reach preschool and school years – from pure children psychology opinion.

There is another aspect in your comment that made me think of my favorite ideology in life – as Nava always comment on that:) !
Ultimately nothing out there but our own perception…We perceive everything through our own experience in life. Your comment showed me the wounds that you are carrying….I will not talk about that other than this sentence, as it is not my place or the time for it (we are after all total strangers even in cyber world)…but I will tell you that I hope the wounds heal for you…sooner than later.
Well I guess my comment now is like a post now....

Have a weekend full of love “Cupid”!

Anonymous said...

Dear mommy Homeopath
All you said about this month, is what I deeply feel inside and as I mentioned in my blog, sometimes it is nice to see other people feeling the same as you do. But I hope next year, you feel differently next to your nice bosses!
:)
And God! I am falling in love with your little boss! He sounds to be much more older that his real age; or better to say, more mature...
But after all, your choice to stay home after being a mom, is very courageous; I know that is partly because of your own background and sad experience of loneliness, but still I believe that little boss and his brother should be proud of such a nice mother. To tell you the truth, I myself cannot imagine the day I have to stay home to take care of little boss or bosses! I guess it is a big sacrifice...
That's why I am not surprised by his mature attitude; He is definitely your son.

Be happy and I wish you the best December you've ever had!

Anonymous said...

Hi dear mommy homeopath,
I am so happy that you are well. I was getting worried for you.
Your little boss is adorable. My little one was exact opposite. For 5 months (yes FIVE) months we had scream and tears and crying and let me tell you at the end of the school day, he was happy but still showed all the miserable sides to ME!!!!!!!!
That is the rule of life. Always mommy is the one that gets double end of everything.
BTW he might be teething too? When I read your reply to Cupid I thought about that.
So happy to read you again
Eve

Anonymous said...

Dear Mommy Homeopath,
It is so good to hear from you again. I was also starting to get worried and all.
Sorry to hear that the cold is not going away. It is funny but I see people with runny nose and cough everywhere all the time. So what ever this virus is, is one stubborn one as you said before.
Oh our little boss, what a brave heart you have! May God gives you magical school days for years and years ahead and may you enjoy them so much…and may you make things easier for mommy at home.
Take care of yourself mommy homeopath,
A reader

Nava said...

Hey my dear MH!
Good to see you back :)

Well, no need to tell you I loved this post as well as the others, and needless to say how much I praise the braveness little boss is showing - in both handeling the big change in his routine of life, and his emotions - and your braveness to both let him go through his path and overcome your fears. But I want to talk about that window!

You know, I loved the concept of that window. I mean, it can even be symbolic somehow. It can be the first of so many windows which from their behind you'll have to stand and watch him going through his way of life. You'll be ready any minute to jump from it's behind and go to his rescue, but most of the time, you'll be standing there, with pounding heart and tense muscles, observing his efforts and struggles...and I'm sure he'll sense you there and will be warm hearted by knowing that Mommy will always be there for him. Letting him go, yet always looking after him and being there for him...
No wonder you are getting hooked up with that window...

Best of luck to you and the little boss for going through this transition state, which will be the first of so many others.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mommy Homeopath,
Good to “read” from you again. You know that with you not being around, made me read ALL your post one by one (and some re-read).
I hope the cold is over and will let you enjoy the rest of the pregnancy.
I can totally empathize with you when you say internalizing is for sure is not blessing. I mean everyone will say “what an adorable little one and how brave he is” and I totally agree that he is truly adorable but I have to say I pray for him to “let it out” – for all his life it will be so much easier
BTW I also like to read the comments and your replies. I read your reply to Cupid and I don’t think there is anything in your post that suggests the emotion of guilt on your part. I think what you felt/ feel is sadness and in some degree apprehension and as you said separation anxiety. What I love about you is how you are aware of your feeling and thoughts. That is amazing.
Humor lover

Esfand` said...

:D You always terribly make me miss my mom!!!

I am so sure lil Boss will be so proud of his mama! I can so relate to what he is doing, taking it all in and not letting his emotions out, I just wish that he maintains an outlet for that towards you too. Some how I discovered that my connection was lost, with all that being brave and not letting mommy worry, coz of me crying, made me end up being one who almost never let mommy in on the pain that I felt. To the point where I almost left my pains and wounds to my self ... pretending to be brave ... and in return caring for the feelings of my mom, not to hurt her by telling her about the pain I felt.
:D dont know ... I guess it has this being elder kid phenomenon in it too ... parents try to make you strong and brave... and one does become strong and brave but at the cost of loosing that emotional link... I think... but still parents end up knowing it all ..some how...and so I always get blamed for letting them in on the stories a little late. Only time has taught me how to get close once again ... how to claim that emotional link...

Best wishes for you and your sweet family!! :) thanks for this journey through your lil Boss's life!

Esfand` said...

oh... n yes... from your play list I got introduced to Il Divo ..En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor ... wow! its beautiful. Thanks!! :)

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi Esfand,
You are a sensitive man dear! I am sure your mom is proud of you.

My little boss so far is really good in showing his emotions- raw and unfiltered- to his mamma. I am not sure how much of it is his age and how much is his personality but better half thinks it is very much influenced by his personality and the bond that he and I have. We chat a lot!!!!!!
What I wish for him is to not bottle up his emotions in his life. As brave as it sounds, it is really hard in daily routine of life!!! I am sure you understand.

Yes “En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor” is really beautiful. I grew up with hearing the original version of it from a singer that I was too young to remember his name and later on I found out few artists have their version.

Thanks for visiting. It is always good to see you here

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi Humor lover,
Thank you for loyally visiting me even though these days I am more absent than present!
Life suddenly has more on its plate than my energy or time!!!!
The cold is still going on…well I am trying to look at it as one of the daily companion. Maybe if it is not going away, I can change my perception toward how hellish it is!!!!
Be well and be happy

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi Nava,
Good to see you here again. I know how busy you are these days….
I LOVE that window…both as it is and what it can be metaphorically in life. Ultimately that is how mothers watch the life of their children.
Be well my friend

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi “A reader”,
Thank you for still visiting me and thanks for your footprints. As always I appreciate them…even if I don’t have time to promptly recognize them:)

We mommy finally found out that all the mood ups and downs are not only for the changes in his routine of life but also for that good old teething. Little boss is teething the big molars and I am not sure you know or not, those are the most painful one. Hence, the moodiness, the runny nose and some yucky stuff – which I spare you the detail- are going on.
But he for sure likes his school.
Take care

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Wises Mamma Eve,
You are right on the target…He is teething. The big molars and MY GOD THEY ARE PAINFUL!!!! So far little boss really did not have that difficult teething more or less but these big guys are something else!

Thank you so much for visiting me…and thanks for all your kind and wise comments. I really appreciate them
Be well my dear!

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear sensitive Parinaz,
When I was reading the comments in your blog about this month, I also felt that it is nice if people would have felt what one feels…and I felt that with you.
My nice bosses….that is such a cute sentence. I am trying to find a pseudo-name for the baby on his way. So far he is for sure much much much more active that his brother…he just loves to play with mamma’s organ!!!

Staying home mom and witnessing their moments in life is truly my ultimate pleasure. It was easier for me to do that considering that I have my own clinic and I manage to see my patients in the weekend. It just takes so much energy out of me.

But jut in the manner of “TÊTE-À-TÊTE” - :):):)- let me tell you what I miss the most: my travels. That is the only thing that I miss from pre-motherhood era. But still the replacement is beyond any pleasure I ever imagined....

Hope you are well my cyber friend. Christmas is close…:):):)