"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

An open letter to parents…all of us out there!

I wonder when did it all start…this “generation gap”, this “misunderstanding” between a parent and a child….was it chicken or egg first?


In last few months I am deeply sad and seriously in thoughts for the way that all of us, one way or another – make negative impacts on the most beloved beings in our lives. It is not hard to be shocked when you turn on the news and hear about all the abuse and murders that is being done by no others than parents. I remember in April / May the case of that Austrian man made me have nightmares and enormous sadness for weeks and weeks. So while in the one end of spectrum there are these unbelievable monsters, they are not who I am referring to here. I am referring to all of us, the ordinary people that bring human beings to this world with hope and joy and do our best to provide for them – physically, emotionally and spiritually I hope!


And then somewhere down the road, we are the sole responsible of inflicting wounds on their psyche….wounds that are so hidden and so deep that might not be healed and very well might be transferred to the next generation and the generation after that.

I was thinking of a particular example that I hear so often. When parents can not understand why their “grown up children” can not accept them the way they are….after all they are old, aged and no room for “change” anymore….
Well what do you expect?


Did you ever accept that child JUST the way she or he was?
Did you accept her / him with all the fears, anxieties, stubbornness, sensitivities, low self confidence…..?
Or did you try your best to “change” her / him? To make her / him a better version?

Do you even accept your child when she / he is no longer a child...is an adult with a life to lead and a role to fullfill?

And that is the big million dollar question…..did you try to make her / him a better version of “herself/ himself” or a better version period?

It is like sculpting with clay. A good clay artist always cherishs and honors the clay just the way it is. Then with love and respect to the “being” of the clay, she or he will start smoothing the edges…..

I mean becoming the better version of oneself means you already accept and cherish the clay that you are working with, even if the clay will not end up being your version of anything (ESPECIALLY if the clay does not end up like your vision!)….

But making someone the better version means the version that she or he is or will choose to be is NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOUR STANDARD.

So in the name of parenting, how many of us did or do that on daily basis?
How many of us want to “change” our children with the big excuse of “improving you and your life”?
How many of us are so disrespectful to their “being”?
How many of us are even aware of this abomination?

How many of us told our children “stop crying, you are a big girl/ boy now”…“Why are you afraid of everything?”….“Why don’t you have many friends?”…. “Why can’t you be social?”….“Why are you so sensitive….or have no self esteem?’’… “ You have to do this, because I say so and I know much better than you”…"too emotional, too this, too that, not enough this, not enough that".....shall I go on or does these sentences sound familiar to us?

Lately I seriously doubt and challenge the concept of “a parent is a self less being”…are we? What does that mean in your dictionary?…let’s just be clear of the meanings word for word.
Are we sure we are not selfish? I mean are we sure what we are doing is not the core definition of selfishness?

Well not only we try to “change” our children, we are not satisfied with the people in society, in our circle of friends or family. They also are not “good enough”. We also NEED to change them, to make them “improve” themselves…of course all is in the name of love and care and being a responsible human being….I mean come on!

When did we fall asleep and woke up in a parallel universe that everything has another meaning?

The reality is that we give / gave examples to our children all their lives, that nothing or nobody is GOOD ENOUGH for us….that everyone INCLDUING THEM (sadly, so sadly) needs modification to become “better” for our existance…and then one day that child is an adult and stands up to our face and tell us that she or he DOES NOT accept us the way we are…that why can’t we do this or that? That why can’t we change?

And what is the typical answer:
I am “….” old, I can not change anymore…didn’t you know that I am like this all my life? Why can’t you let me be?

Well of course the child can not accept us the way we are, after all she/he was an excellent student in our classroom. She / he learned that nothing is good enough unless it fits our way of thinking…..our way of life...our way of good and bad, right and wrong....strong and weak....

So welcome to the never ending fight between generations….welcome to rage, disappointment, sadness, hurts and wounds that never heals and ongoing saga of was it chicken or egg first?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Mommy homeopath,
I just LOVED LOVED LOVED your open letter and I am not even a parent!
But who cares I am not a parent. Because I am a child for another set of parents that I can tell you for sure did and said so many of those things to me and my siblings.
For one second when I was reading about the example of “not be social” I thought I am hearing my mom and dad which would said that to me daily with the addition to it: “like your cousins”
It made me to become a pseudo-social for such a long time while inside I wanted to ran away somewhere and hide. Believe me it became so bad that I ended up on therapist chair with all the social anxieties and all.
I have to call back my therapist and make an appointment now just to ask: Is this why I don’t want to be a parent?
I wonder!!!!
Humor lover

Anonymous said...

Hi dear mommy homeopath,
The post can be called an open letter to everyone: parents and children. Because even if I am not a parent I have a set of them just the way you describe and what I laughed so hard with your post – especially for the sentences that the parents think we the children never accept them and all – I knew those are not really the happy laugh just nervous laugh: to hide wounds in my heart.
And the part that we – all of us – really does not accept anyone. Not only the children but the neighbor, the family, the friend. The criticizing NEVER stops. When did each and every one of us became the know it all and the teacher of the society? I wonder

Aside from this a question is itching me. Can I ask? Do you work with clay? I mean do you do sculpting with clay?
The paragraph about that was truly poetic and can only come from someone that has that experience. I think if that is not personal, it will be an amazing post with your way of words.
Thanks for another wonderful “letter”.
A reader

Anonymous said...

Hey Mommy Homeopath.Great Post.
Your child is very lucky that it has a paremt who thinks along these lines you just posted.Its a great beginning..There are many parents who dont even know this line of thought can also exist.. Whereas the truth is this is the right line..

About your doubts.Its a subconscious thing.It happens when people expect their children to make them proud in the society.And their idea of what is to proud of and what is just materialistic.If this idea is not accurate in your mind then You make mistakes as a parent and inflict pain on the child.
Here are few points.{not Advice. Just points}

1}Always be there for them

2}Never make them feel guilty.Or be very careful and judicious when you are givin them something to think about.

3}Accept that they will make mistakes.And help them learn and cope in a nice and non guilty way. This will go a long way in them being more open to you and reduce the lies they tell you.

And when they have someone they can trust with their innermost thoughts, Pain will be much easier to cope...

Note : This is Not advice.. You are a great Mom.I am Just Putting my thoughts here.It might help when you hear from other people..

Anonymous said...

Recently I have found out that I am more in accord with my parents than some of my same aged friends! I guess it is the matter of age and when you get older and older, this gap between you and your previous or next generation disappears gradually...
But about the concept of “a parent is a self less being", I cannot agree with that since I believe that the very act of reproduction is a kind of selfish act! However, I am not a parent yet and I am not competent enough to judge it.
Anyways...you had a very nice and thought provoking discussion on the topic and as usuall I enjoyed your post very much.

Thank you my dear mommy homeopath for sharing it.
Take a very good care of you and your inside guest! It's close now, isn't it?
:)