"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Friday, April 24, 2009

I guess it is official….

She says:
“I am afraid you are going through PTSD….all the classic signs and I know you are very familiar with it.” I can detect the sympathy tone in her voice, a tone that doctors don’t usually have time for it….

Of course she knows I am very familiar with the condition. After all she referred few of her patients to me in past few years, in order for me to help them with the exact same diagnosis….

We joke about the desire that all MD have to label conditions and categorize them…a security blanket of some sort I guess and then we look at each other in silence, me and this sweet doctor of mine. In last 10 years we came a very long way. We both came to trust and respect each other, especially as two health care professionals that by definition believe in two opposite school of thoughts.

The first time I walked in her office, head high and proud and told her I am there because I have to have a family physician in order to live in this society…at least for some annual tests and all. She looked at my chart and said: “Oh you are a homeopathic doctor I see!”….we joked about that initial contact many times after that. She came to respect my knowledge and expertise in my field so much to refer patients to me – something that MD rarely admit even if they believe in! ….And I came to trust her open-mindedness so much to make her our family doctor in every sense of the word…She became my precious angels’ doctor!

Now we sit in the silence of her office. She specifically booked me at her lunch brake and I am uncomfortably aware that she is spending way too much of her well deserved lunch brake with me. The office is totally quiet. She talks about the options and I talk about my opinions….

I walk out the office. I can feel the fresh spring breeze on my face. I look around. It feels like everything is in slow motion in the world that I live in. That is the world that I live in for some time now. I notice the fresh green leaves on some of the bushes and I have to mentally remind myself that I like this fresh green and this time of the year….

The sound of children and their laughter come from the green field beside the parking lot. I turn and look at them and yet I can not see them….I walk toward my car and later I realized the drops of tears were running down my cheeks. I am in this world and yet I am not….I am still in that hospital room, looking at the monitor and hearing nothing but the alarming beep of low oxygen level and the labored breath of my angel…..

It sounds like a broken record to everyone that does not FEEL what I am talking about. It is after all my broken record. Well I actually NEVER talk about what I am going through. Almost no one knows. I look the same to everyone except to my better half. He knows. He does not need words to know the deep hell that his love of life goes through….he knows….

Life goes on…does it? I wonder sometimes…..

7 comments:

Deep Blue Sea said...

Dear Mommy

Its funny they call it POST TRAUMATIC stress Disorder.Coz The Stress itself is a Traumatic experience..

Anyways All the best to You and may the good times return soon.And How is your peaceful Boss doing?

Take care.

Bye bye..

Anonymous said...

Sweetest mommy homeopath,
I reached the end of your post and I realized my cheeks were wet by tears. They are poring down my eyes.
I am so very sorry for the pain that you are going through, for the happy time that you are rubbed from.
It is NOT a broken record, say it to us as many times and in any form that you wish for.
We are here for you. The only way that we can: read.
I am praying for you
A reader

Anonymous said...

OH my mommy homeopath,
I know PTSD. It really never goes away. I am sorry to say that.
I feel you and deep blue see is so correct. The condition on its own is a trauma beyond imagination.
I am so sorry for you. It is indeed a hell to go through
What can we do but read? Please write it out. Write the whole pain out. As many times as you want. A reader is correct. It is not a broken record.
I am FEELING you
Humor lover

Anonymous said...

نگاه کن که در اینجا زمان چه وزنی دارد
و ماهیان چگونه گوشتهای مرا می جوند
چرا مرا همیشه در ته دریا نگاه میداری ؟
من سردم است و از گوشواره های صدف بیزارم
من سردم است و میدانم
که از تمامی اوهام سرخ یک شقایق وحشی
جز چند قطره خون
چیزی به جا نخواهد ماند

Anonymous said...

I knew something is going on ,I am happy you are here again.I understand your silence but as you told me before "Please talk to me,write to me".I have told you many times before I am here to listen to you ,to feel your pain ,to make you laugh ,to distract you or to suffer with you.I don't know what to say but I know it will go a way ,hopefully soon.Love you and miss you very bad.I'm tired of being far from each other for so many years.
Take care,
Fire

Shadi said...

my dearest mommy homeopath,

I shared with you all about my little angel's sickness but I am going to share with you what came after that. I know what you are going through my sweet cyber friend. I had PTSD AND postpartum anxiety at the same time. there were nights (and there were many of them) that I could hardly sleep for more than 2-3 hours. and what a sleep, filled with dreams of tubes coming out of his little mouth, filled with the sound of his troubled breath, reliving the fear of losing him, black scary wolves attacking him... when he was around 6 months old, i felt unable to go on like that. I went to see my doctor, who like yours, is extremely open to alternative medicine. I am not big at medication unless absolutely necessary but I was begging for something, anything that would make me sleep and drive away the crazy thoughts and dreams, that would bring back the colour to my life. He suggested that I see my homeopath, join the support groups for postpartum and PTSD and go to some aqua relaxation classes.I was reluctant but I followed what he said. I cant say swimming and homeopathic remedies did miracles right away but I felt better gradually and slowly. the groups were especially very helpful. I am not sure if I would have the strength to avoid medication if something of that nature happens again but I guess I was too numb to see and think clearly.
I wish the colours, aroumas, senses , harmony and clarity all come back to you very very soon whatever the path you choose to walk this journey. I wish you strength and love and pray for you in my meditations.
how is little boss? how is the peaceful boss recovering?

you are in my thoughts.

Shadi said...

my dear sweet mommy homeopath,

how is life? how are you and the little ones? I think of you a lot and pray for you i my meditations.

take care and be well.

hugs