"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Monday, September 8, 2008

Doubts, second guessing, intuition and more...

She is a dear friend, not so close to me but never the less “dear”. She is also expecting, one month ahead of me. This will be her third child, the first two being boys. When she heard my news, she was genuinely excited: “Now we share something that makes us even closer and closer than before”.

A month ago, she called me and with the first “Hello” I knew something hit her hard. My heart sank in. The thoughts always go to the worst scenario when you are talking to pregnant women in distress.

S: I just came out of my ultrasound.
Me: Everything is good and fine, Ya?!
S: OH yes, the baby is healthy... It’s a boy….
Me: OH MY GOD that is SOOOO exciting. You found out the gender.
S: Yap, It’s a boy! I will have three boys, no girls…I need you to help me to get over my shock. It must not be good for the baby…We wanted a girl this time…I really really wanted a girl!
...
...
...
ME: “S” called me today. They are having a boy.
My better half: WOW that is amazing. What an energetic household that will make.
ME:
Silence
HIM: BTW I think they wanted a girl.
ME: How did you know?
HIM: Blink, Blink
ME: I have a confession to make…Blink, Blink
HIM: I feel like a priest or something:):)
ME: I never thought of it until today…I think I will be a better mother to boys….
HIM: How do you know that? You never had a daughter!


ME: Logically that is a correct argument. But women “feel” these things….and let’s face it I never was a girly girl, even as a child. I was never into dolls and tea parties. People goo goo and ga ga over the outfits for girls and I look at it and think it is good for a doll but not for practicality of daily life…my daughter will be very disappointed with my not so feminine side! I am really afraid I will disappoint my daughter....

HIM: I forgot the famous women’s “feelings”…and while you are at it, let’s not forget “pink” is your least favorite color hahhaha

ME: I am serious. I feel our baby is a boy and I think I also WANT THE BABY to be a boy, don’t you think the two brothers with close age will be good for each other? You can argue that I really don't know that, being the only child and all...


Although “They” say “Girl will stay and boy will leave”. For my selfish side, daughter is better in the long run I guess….still I think I will be better suited as the mother of boys….Maybe at this stage of my life I still did not learn to be a mother to a girl, maybe it changes in couple of years…I don’t know!

HIM: OH sweetie, I think no matter a boy or a girl, they will leave us. Only you and I stay for each other….
ME: Blink, Blink

HIM: Well the good thing is that we want children / babies, not gender, who cares it is a boy or a girl:):):)…Keep in mind “they” also say: “Mama’s boy and Daddy’s girl”…so in that way boys will be closer to you….

ME: Deep down I agree, WHO CARES IT IS A BOY OR GIRL. If I could, I would have had a dozen of children, half boys and half girls…But still I have a feeling, an intuition. Until today’s phone call I did not think of it one way or the other…now I can not shake it off!

I think I can teach my boys to be kind men, the type that “feel” and “talk about their feelings” and don’t hesitate to show their emotions because they are “A MAN”, the type that respect, cherish and honor women. I think that is one task that mothers can help their boys the most with….

HIM: In that department, I totally agree with you. You will be amazing for this task. And as for the talking and sharing the emotions, look at the little boss, he carries a conversation with you longer than I do…:):):)
...
...
...
“They” do say: “Mamma’s boy and Daddy’s girl”.


I had / have more similarities with my father, similarities in hobbies, interests and above all in our personalities…We shared our books, love for history, philosophy, horses, skiing, never ending debates and so much more…everyone think I am a mirror image of him in personality. We share an especial bond even in my never ending discussions with him!

But deep in my heart and soul, I am and always was a “Mamma’s girl”. Our personalities are not the same - maybe except the anxious gene and the planning ahead….and yet I feel the most security in her presence, the most comfort and peace. I share the most hidden corner of my being with her. She never talks and I always like to have a discussion about issues. She never expresses her love and I love to show how much I love…. and still with the exception of my better half, I was and am “myself” the most with my mother.

From the outside everyone assume that I am daddy’s girl but to us and to the people closest to us the umbilical cord between my mom and I never stopped working….
...
...
...
In the car, on the way there I tell my better half (trying my best convincing tone): “Let’s not find out what is the gender. You know they can not guarantee that they are correct and there are examples of them making a mistake in announcing the gender with the ultra sound”.

My better half can not control his laughter. “You can not even wait to open your gift for more than 10 seconds. Every time I have to go to million and one strategies to hide a gift for you and you make the house upside down to hunt it. I make a deal with you, if YOU choose to not find out, I am OK with waiting…but I make a bet, you CAN NOT do that”….he laughs all the way there…
...
...
...
The technician finishes with all the technical stuff and goes out to bring him in and “Let the fun begin”. I sit up and bend to see the monitor. “OH he knows me so well…I can not control myself!”…


The screen is divided into the last 4 pictures. One shows the four chambers of the baby’s heart - priceless…the other is a little tiny hand on the face with the thumb in the mouth, I could recognize the nostrils and the lips - I have tears at this point....the third is the spine and the fourth….OH MY GOD, I know the gender!

The door opens. My better half and the technician walk in…he bursts into laughter, I look like a child with her hands in the cookie jar. “YOU COULD NOT WAIT, COULD YOU?!”….“Hey, I know what is the gender, It’s a ….”.


The Technician protests: “I did not tell you yet. How would you know?”…My better half: “Well the thing is that she is familiar with the ultrasound pictures”. She interrupts: “But let me give the tour myself…, “this is…this is ….look at…and this is….let’s move around…now here….and do you want to know the gender?”

My better half challenges me with his look. I reply: “OH YA, we do want your professional opinion on the subject”.

“Well you were correct. This “not so little thing” in there can only exist in BOYS. You are having a boy”.

My better half and I cheered… that kind of laughter that comes with tears... Excited, cheerful, no words to explain it…

“God willing I will be mother of two boys for now”…and as for the future and later on…it is in divine’s hand!





14 comments:

Shadi said...

congrats Mama, i know how it feels in that ultrasound room... priceless... i am so happy for you... keep writing, reading you restores my faith in humanity, intellect, love and so many other good things.

much love to you and your beautiful family

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi there, dear آدم گلابی,
Thank you for visitng again and thank you for your kind words...

Something tells me: with a heart like yours, you do not need so much restoring on all those issues...

I always enjoy your visits.
Take good care of your little boy...and your sensive soul

Nava said...

Helloooo my dear MH of the two boys, god willing, for now!

OK! First of all, you could definitely write a screenplay for a blockbuster movie. With all the introduction, suspension, and the happy ending in this post :)

I really hope that the little angel will be a healthy, happy cute smart nice boy...well, now that we are ordering, let's include everything ;)

...Also for all of you, the family of soon-to-be-four, lots of fun and happiness together.

Anonymous said...

WOW Mommy Homeopath!
That is FANTASTIC. You will have a household full of running and mischievous act. I KNOW, I GREW UP WITH ALL BOYS AROUND ME!

I enjoy your writing very much, the seriousness, the humor, the sadness, the happiness, the suspense and the deep love that is generates.

And just for the record, I think you are fantastic mother: for a boy or a girl or the whole dozen of them:):):)

Anonymous said...

Dear Talented Mommy homeopath,
Congratulation!
I am so very happy for you. I understand your self doubt so well. I had that when I found out I will have a boy.
You will be an amazing mother for boys or girls. I have one from each and I can tell you sometimes I think what you said about two brothers make sense: I mean two from one gender with close age. As mine grow older, they have less to share.

And something else: I laughed so hard about your paragraph about girly girl and the outfits. I am one of those people that goo goo over the girl outfits (and was so happy I am going to have a girl so that I can dress her and all – how shallow is that?) and try so hard to put all of those nice things on my daughter. Well she HATES them all with passion. We end up getting neutral; color and outfit (for boy and girl) for her. She thinks all the girl clothes make her itchy!!!

People like you should have more children so go on with that dream of dozen, maybe not 12 but closer to that number
Eve

Mommy Homeopath: said...

My dear friend, Nava,
You are too cute! Screenplay writer??...Moa?!??!??!

Thank you for all your well wishes. You are right, now that we are putting request to the big guy/ gal up there, let's go for the whole nine yard:):):)
I also wish your family all the love and happiness....an alchemical one:)

Anonymous said...

Mommy homeopath, dear sweet soul,
I am so happy for you and your wise better half…all the best wishes for the new member of the family that is on HIS way and for the big brother adorable little boss!

I totally agree with the anonymous (the humor lover I think?!) and Eve.
Reading your blog (I read ALL your entries from the start by the way!!!), I can tell you that you are one of those women that should have the whole dozen of kids, from both gender.
I am not a mother and in all honesty, I have one of those women’s feelings, intuition…that tells me at this point I am not ready to be a mother. But I still saw enough mothers in my life to know that you are a mother material and one of the best one that I know. I am sure you will give all those amazing qualities to your sons (and one day two ladies better thank you so much for your amazing upbringing hahaha). But I also think you will be an amazing mother to a girl. You will teach her the self worth and self respect and so much more…you will teach her how to be a mother…so as you said: As for the future it is in divine’s hand. But I for one cheer for you to be mother of three and even four and maybe the others will be sisters for little boss and the new member.

BTW you have to start finding name for him: both in the daily routine of your life and in our blog land.
Be happy, be very very very happy
A reader

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear Anonymous friend,
Thank you for all your well wishes and kind words...Your words really brought a big smile on my face

I will make sure to keep the humor going, especially for you:):):)
Be very happy

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear mamma Eve,
As always you are really kind to me. I am sure you give SO MUCH to your children, physically, emotionally and spiritually!

I have to agree with your daughter...I had the same complain when I was a little girl. I think it is all those stocking thingy! I am not sure is that what their proper name or not.
Thank you my dear cyber friend, be well!

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi "a reader" of mine,
Once again, you came and you wrote and I am touched by your generous heart.

Thank you for your well wishes - and thank you on behalf of the other three guys of my life:):):)

You describe a mother's quality so well my dear! So maybe, just maybe what is in the future for you regarding that subject, should be left to divine's hand...

I also wish one day two amazing ladies - that hopefully be close to me wink wink:):):):) - be happy with my upbringing of my sons hahhahha

Thank you for your kindness and for your cyber friendship
Be well!

P.S.: You are right, the tough job of finding name starts now....

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I liked what “a reader” called me: "the humor lover":):):)
That is what I will sign for you from now on hahhahha
Thank you “a reader” which BTW I enjoy your comments!!!!
Humor Lover

Anonymous said...

I'm really wordless azizam…wordless!
Congratulations! Whatever the gender, I wish HIM a very very good life; a happy life; a successful and long life…

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi dear Parinaz,
Thank you for your warm words. I am happy to know you in this cyber world of ours.
Take good care of that sensitive heart of yours

Anonymous said...

Dear Mommy,
I'm so happy for you although I think you are a good mother period.I wish I could talk to you more nowdays.
fire