"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The SHOCK....



He was sleeping in his crib when we arrived from the hospital. They discharged us in the evening and the drive home was long and slippery!

We came in, bringing our little baby boy home for the first time....


I asked Oma “Is he sleeping?” and my mom replied “Yes, he is.” and I felt an ache in my heart. I wanted to fly to his room and touch him but little peaceful boss really was hungry and TRULY was patient during the LONG drive home. So I had to tend to his need first.

After that I still did not want to go to little boss’s room. I needed to take a shower and clean myself. That was possibly one of the quickest showers in the history – and trust me when I tell you that I learned to take very quick showers since I became a mother, something that was very difficult for me to give up as I LOVE water and its sensation on my body.

So with my bath robe on and water dripping from my body I walked into his room. The familiar aroma welcomed me immediately. I took it all in. It was the smell of my little boss. From the corner of my eyes I could see one of his favorite books on the floor and I could hear his delicate voice imitating the poem for me: “Mommy sing it again: Wynken, Blynken and Nod…”

I hold my breath in and bent down and looked into his crib. There, in the dark, was he, my first born. Tangled in his blankets, head on his favorite teddy bear and feet out…sweaty and all.


And there it was...the deep shock: “Where did my baby go? I was away for only couple of days and he is grown up so much?”

I had tears in my eyes. He was grown up. Was it possible that he was so changed in couple of days or the fact that I had a newborn baby in my arms for last 48 hours made everything looked bigger?!

A friend of mine wrote an email to me a week prior to this: “when you change your first newborn diaper you will realize for the first time that your toddler is no longer a baby and is grown up so much.” I read it and did not think of it that much. Now I had tears in my eyes.

Where did my baby go? I was not looking at him ONLY for two days of his life and look how much I missed!

I bent over the rail and touched his curly hairs, use all my self control not to wake him up with the tsunami of the kisses that was in my heart. Every muscle of my body was aching for a hug and cuddle.

I only looked at him and whispered to him in my heart.

I told him about the big surprise that he will have when he wakes up tomorrow morning, that his brother also brought him a present that I am really sure he will love, that mommy is so worried about the changes that he has to go through, that sometimes mommy asks herself that was this the right timing and is there any right timing for this type of lessons in life?

I told him that although he has a turbulent time ahead of him, giving him a sibling was the best thing that mommy and daddy could do for him...and he better trust me on that because I know what does it mean to be the only child....

...
...

And then the tears ran down my face. I was crying so intensely....I whispered to him that how I love him and adore him and how much I miss him. That how every touch of his brother cheek against my breasts brings a memory of him to me. That how every suck and newborn skin against my skin makes my heart burst with love for the peaceful boss and yearn deeply for the little boss.

I told him the story of the last 48 hours, things that I might never actually tell him…I told him about how he gave his little brother the best gift of all: a better version of his mother…and I told him that how much my love for the peaceful boss made my love for little boss grows and grows and grows….




And my heart ached for my baby, my little boss…..

...
...

I came out of his room and my red nose and watery eyes made my mother worried. I told her: “He grew up so much. Even his feet are bigger”…and Oma looked at me as if she is looking at a mad woman – although in all honesty she is really used to my madness by now – and replied: “He is exactly the same. Nothing is changed in last 48 hours”….and I replied: “Oh mom, everything is changed!”




He is still every inch my baby, a big baby but still my baby. In the quiet and dark of the night, he is no longer a toddler seeking for his independency, no longer a little boy aching to be a big boy, no longer a big brother struggling to share his mamma, he is only my baby….soft and vulnerable and in need of me…always in need of me.

Oh how I am thankful for him and his little brother….


12 comments:

Shadi said...

mommy homeopath,
you are convincing me to consider having a second one!

i LOVE reading every word you write, I FEEL your every word with all my heart mommy homeopath... it is like showering in love.

give your little boss a big hug and smell the peaceful boss, that heavenly smell does not last long.

i wish and pray that you get as much rest as you can as you really need it now and that this beautiful family be in love more and more everyday.

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear آدم گلابی

I want to share something with you…and possibly I end up writing it as a post sooner or later:)

I can tell you that being mother of two is one of the most magical experiences of my life. Becoming a first time mom was also one of the most magical experiences of my life and the two are so similar and at the same time nothing like one another…words are really not adequate for explaining such intensity of love and sacredness….

Also let me bring up another piece of information: it is REALLY difficult, from some aspects even more than the first time around. I am not the type that says: OH it is beautiful and nothing else. That is not life, at least not my life!
So I can say, so far it is truly tough on the energy level and work load and let’s not forget NO SLEEP thing!

But what is actually really difficult for me is none of the above. What is really difficult for me (beyond expectation and that is maybe because of me being the only child and all!) is to see the struggle that little boss has to go through in sharing me. He really loves his little baby brother and truly getting attached to him. But equally as each day passes by, he witnesses arms that were ONLY his place, kisses that were ONLY for him, time that ONLY belonged to him…and that is a difficulty and a deep struggle that he shows the signs of it more and more with each passing day….

Having said that….let me share something with you: being the only child is possibly one of the most difficult “life long sentences” that I know. I know very well that not all siblings will end up being “friends” and that is OK too. The only thing is that having a sibling will give one a “chance” and that alone is worth everything…

Anonymous said...

OK!
I loved the post as I usually love the others;
In this moment, I am just thinking about one thing: the different ways to happiness!
you are a very lucky woman I bet; and I am happy that at least one of my friends is so!
...
Sorry...
I am not in a good mood these days and I cannot put my mind into words very well, But from the bottom of my heart, I hope that this happiness lasts forever fo you.
:)

Shadi said...

i can only imagine how difficult it me be for you (and your partner) to tend to two little ones, taking care of the never ending chores around the house and THE SLEEPINESS nights! you are absolutely right. it is not all beautiful and easy and I have been thinking of writing about the reality of being a mom which, like every other real thing has its own good and not so good moments.

and i have to tell you THE BEST memories of my life are the ones with my brothers and I dont want to deprive my Pesarak from that love and joy however, i am so scared of having to make him share our love and to be honest having to share my love. it sounds absurd but that is how i feel. My heart goes for your little boss but children are resilient we know that! he will be a much more mature little boss and will grow with this amazing experience. But I assume it does not make it any easier for you to watch him go through it all.

i keep visiting here, i know you are extremely busy and it is amazing that you keep here updated and respond to the comments.

I wish you first of all good naps/rests/sleeps for the time being and joy, love, peace, harmony and health for the four of you.

Anonymous said...

Dear mommy homeopath,
I read the post last night but I got so emotional that I had to go to my kids room and watch them while they were sleeping. I was in tears and all.
Thank you so much for writing it.
Eve

Anonymous said...

Your post made me all watery eyes and all.
I called my mom today. Although normally we end up in an argument and all, today I had to be more sensitive to her because I remembered your words and thinking how much motherhood is difficult. Rewarding maybe but let's face it, it takes a toll on your heart and I think my heart is not strong enough for all these hits:)
Be well my dear mommy homeopath
Humor lover

Anonymous said...

I loved every sentence that you wrote.
But I have to agree with humor lover, motherhood seems to be very difficult on heart. Although I am not sure what is the percentage of the mothers that are so aware of their love and depth of it.
I hope you and your family are warm in the winter storm that is going on, on and off these days. Be well mommy homeopath. Do you get any rest? I know how tough the first 6-12 weeks are.
A reader

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear Parinaz,
It is a long time since you left a comment. I read it and appreciated your visit and the fact that you left your footprints behind….but I did not get a chance to type the reply…and all this time the reply was in my mind playing over and over. I am not sure you will check the comment box again or not, but in case you do…

I am sad to hear you are sad my dear cyber friend. I want to tell you two wise words from two wise men. The first one I am sure you know and the second one…maybe you do not know…
The first one from Gibran:
“Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.”

And the second one is from Rudolf Steiner:
“Pleasure is a gift of destiny
That reveals its value in the present,
While suffering is a source of insight
Whose significance will become evident in the future.”

No one is only happy or only sad my dear….I hope you become less sad and more happy

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear sweet Eve,
Thank you so much for your visit and for taking time to write a comment each time. I do apologize if lately I did not have a chance to reply to the comments. I am sure you can imagine the life in my household. The routine is not here yet and as soon as I think maybe today I will check more items on my to do list, the universe laughs out loud….
I hope you and your family are well and happy

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear humor lover,
You watery eyes and all…that is a POST!!
All the jokes aside, thanks for leaving your footprints for me. Your comments always manage to bring a smile on my face. Thanks for that.
Be well

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear “a reader” of mine,
Thank you for all your comments…the one that I replied and the one that I replied in mind and never got a chance to type the words. Motherhood is indeed difficult on the heart and yet I do not know a grater joy than being a mother. I wonder what does that mean…
I have a friend with a sharp humor. She always teases me that what I say means a mother is indeed a masochist….I only know I do not trade even one second of this road, the joy or the pain…..
Be well and stay warm

Anonymous said...

Thanks my dear friend!
Thanks for the wise words and your kindness!
I try to listen to both of them!