"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Love, change and beyond… Part One

Note: Thanks to “Tête-à-tête / Parinaz” for re-opening my Pandora box….

So many times in any given week, I tell to myself if only everyone could be brave enough to take steps to know and live their inner dreams, we would have been living in a world much happier and considerably fairer.

Today, after many ups and downs in my life, I believe that we all have the ability to change the path that we chose to walk in, to change the life that does not make us happy, to recognize our most inner wish and dream….we just don’t all have the courage to act.

To exist is to change- whether this change is in a “maturing” direction or not.
I think to mature is to go on and create oneself endlessly…But the reality is that even the changes that we long for them the most, bring a certain level of melancholy…after all what we leave behind is part of ourselves. It is mourning for a death and the joy for a birth…in order to enter another world, we have to end and die in the previous one….and that needs tremendous courage.

But I also learned, in my not very calm life, that there is another element that is a “must” and a “necessity” for any change. Courage comes only secondary to that.

A need, a desire, a force…that is what is a “must” for a change. I think right there lays my dilemma. What does each one of us use as a force, in order to change? I wonder….

One of the scariest changes in my life came when I totally switched the course of my career. I shocked many people when I stopped being a student in a master degree program for molecular biology and started the road in a life time study of holistic medicine. I remember in a letter to a dear friend, I broke the news with the Robert Frost poem: “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.”

Today, years after that turning point in my life, I can not begin to understand the fear that surrounded my decision making moment. Was it abandoning the familiar and choosing the unknown? Was it the discomfort of starting from point zero? I don’t know…..But I remember very vividly what gave me the courage and became the force for that change: I was utterly unhappy and bitter with the road that I had in front of me.

One day the total lack of enthusiasm, hitting the rock bottom of unhappiness with my daily routine of life and never finding the answer to “why do I continue with this road?” made me JUMP….Jump from one side of the cliff to the other….and as Frost said: THAT MADE ALL THE DIFFERNCES.

I think the force there was the good old primal desire for survival. The bitterness would have killed me in a way that no “angel of death” could have!
Like any animal in this world, I had to survive….and to do that I had to change!

“They” say “love” can be a source for a change, “they” say “love” SHOULD be a force for a change….
Should it?
I don’t know….

Or maybe I should say: I am not sure I agree with the perception of majority of population about the love that brings “that sort of” change…and that always is a paradox to me.

All my life, the one constant point that kept me from drowning, was LOVE. Love was, is and always will be my North Star. I am an endless eternal lover. I love, love with all its sweet glories and bitter pains, with all the pains that comes from too much tenderness. I love, love with all the wounds that it brings me because of my own limited understanding of love at any given moment of life. It is a bleeding willingly and happily.

In the words of a sage: “love is a disease no one wants to get rid of. Those who catch it never try to get better, and those who suffer do not wish to be cured”.

As masochistic as it might sound, I do not regret any painful time that is caused because of love and longing that comes as a result of it. I bare my scars with honor, I cherish them like a woman that cherishes the pain of labor in order to taste that single moment of bliss of seeing her baby for the first time……

I have enough experince in my life to understand lust can be mistaken with love. I also came to understand and celebrate different types of love: from the roller coaster of Eros, to the safty and security of Philia, to the blissful, heavenly feeling of Agape….

To love so deep that you wake up and give thanks to be alive one more day, only to love again – that is the pure purpose of life….Loving on its own, in how ever shape or form it is, worth living in this world….

Does this make me too idealistic? If that is the case, so be it.

In all honesty, I gave up on the concept of ideal and real years ago…I am not sure anymore what exactly is realistic in this world, while reality changes so dramatically with each and every perception.

Having said all this about love, I do not belive LOVE brings any change other than making one person a better version of herself / himself. I am not sure love SHOULD bring ANY changes other than that….

And this is my paradox….

Should a lover be a reason to change? And if yes, does that change really a change? What if one day we will open our eyes to a whole new world, a world that does not “feel” that person any more? Should we get rid of the “changes” and move on?

We love, what the lover’s love. But do we ignore and abandon what we love as an individual?

I cherish the word of one of my all time favorite authors, Saint Exupéry, when he said “Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction”.

In all honesty I cherish more the gazing so deeply at each other in order to find each others differences, uniqueness and deep inner beauties and ugliness…to find, celebrate and love them is a heavenly dimension of love, a dimension that can add so much to the lovers’ “growth” and “maturity”.

I think more than anything I believe in what “Prophet” said – and hope to love like that before I take my last breath:

“Love one another, but make not a bond of love:

Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf

Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,

Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.

For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.

And stand together yet not too near together:

For the pillars of the temple stand apart,

And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear mommy homeopath;
First of all thank you so much to re-open this debate; it sounds an endless debate but still mesmerizing...
To tell you the truth I have read both the little prince and prophet many times and they are definitely two of the best books I have ever read. They both make me feel amazed while having a sort of paradox inside.
To me "change" has a pretty vast meaning. we may consider this concept only as a drastic one; but I believe every minute of our life is a changing step. I believe that every day I get up mentally and physically changed. And that's why every day I look at the mirror saying hello to the girl that I am!
Every thing-even single breathing- makes you change; but we do not have enough vision to notice that. Above all, is love which makes us change. But it mostely happens haphazardly and is not compulsory at all. There is no must and must not for that. There is no force except for the very LOVE.
Let me give you an example...hmmm...one of my psychology teachers once said something really amazing: she said when one sleeps with another one, one is physically and mentally changed, even if it is one's 100th time to do that. One can never see the change, but it has happend...
Well...I do not know many things about psychology at all; but I feel she is right. I do not have my own theory on the changes made by love; but I can feel them inside me...
And I love Gibran saying "And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow..."
Be happy my wise friend! I love having such thoughful friends in some parts of this unknown world.

Shadi said...

you are a beautiful soul mommy homeopath...

i enjoy reading you, i really do

Anonymous said...

Hi mommy homeopath,
I read your post 3 times:):):)It talked so deeply to my soul. Thank you for sharing so passionately and so clearly- as always.

Gibran is one of my favorite. I don’t think the other quote (the one from Exupéry) is from Le Petit Prince. Do you know it is from which book? I heard that a lot and never knew it is from that wise man:):)

I am also the follower of the idea that change can not be satisfying if it will be for "someone else". There will be a deep need within and the change will follow after. Love can cause that deep need to a change toward maturity and growth.

But I totally understand your paradox and that is true, the perception of the majority in society is that you change because and toward the lover. I specifically liked when you said: what if one day we do not "feel" the lover? I understand it with a personal experince.

In one of your posts you mentioned that there are not more than 5 people that connect your cyber world and the other to one another. I think they enjoy you in both worlds.
Be always soulful,
A reader

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear thoughtful, sensitive Parinaz,

Again, thank you for re-opening the topic for me. I always have it in mind and I always enjoy talking and sharing it with the people that are from the same universe...the universe of sensitivity:):)
I already crowded your comment box with my lengthy inputs...I could not do that again and again hahhahha

About that example from your psychology teacher: I totally back that word. From energy perspective the signature of the other person touches you in someway and somehow. Many Shamanic roads talk about it and use it in many different ways.

I hope you be always happy with your oak tree….

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Dear “آدم گلابی”,
Thank you my dear. You are for sure a very welcome visitor to my little corner of the world.
Enjoy the magic and the love that your little one brings to your life.
Be very well!

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi A reader of mine,
Once again you came, you praised and you made me wonder about the generosity of your heart….
Thank you my cyber friend! I always enjoy your comments and feedbacks

You are a keen observer, the other quote is from Exupéry but not from my ALL TIME FAVOIRT "Le Petit Prince".

It is from “Terre des Hommes” / Translated into English “Wind, Sand and Stars":
“Aimer, ce n'est pas se regarder l'un l'autre, c'est regarder ensemble dans la même direction.”

Well I think those dear 5 people of my life are the one that mostly has to go through my ups and downs which are not always pleasant. I cherish their constant physical and non physical presence.

Nava said...

Hi dear MH!
This was again one of your posts that made me think.

There is another side to this whole "changing because of love" concept, which is sometimes, one party changes and the other one doesn't. Then, there'll be that issue of not having the same lover by one's side.
This is why while I enjoy and respect that "gazing at each other" specially in the primary stages (afterall there are two people falling in love), but then I'm more in favor of starting to look at and walk toward a third direction, which ideally is better to be the same.

Then there comes a change, which is more in shape of "growth", and then during those experiences comes knowing new angles and characteristics, without waking up one day discovering that one partner is changed so much that the other one doesn't even recognize him/her.

Have a good rest of the week...

Mommy Homeopath: said...

Hi dear Nava,
A mind of a scientist is always present in looking at different angles of one issue.
Well said…and I think this is why I put the “part one” in my title.

The whole issue of change whether it is as a result of love or any other issue, is something that can be discussed in many posts. Adding to that the issue of Love as the force behind the change…don’t you think the whole blog can be dedicated to that?

The “birth” of this post comes from one of Parinaz’s recent post- which generated an interesting comment section and as a result she wrote again on the topic. What I am starting to talk about in this section is that: shall we change (no matter if it is at the beginning of getting to know each other or not) FOR And BECAUSE of lover? Is CHANGE brings closeness to one another? And if yes, does that really change or possibly compromise? And if it is a change in personality because of a lover – at any time of a relationship- is that deep enough? And so on….

Hence this is why while I cherish the Exupéry’s quote I brought up the “gazing at one another”….

The reality is that walking together toward a destination in life, is what maintain and sustain a loving relationship. But I still think the individuality is a necessity even when and while you are walking in the same direction….and therefore because each person is changing on her/his own as well as with the other, therefore the gazing toward each other can not and should not be stopped.
Do you know what I mean?

I think as the result of NOT gazing at each other CONSTATNLY, one day we may wake up and realize while we “thought” we were walking together in one direction, we became totally different partner in that walk….

And then it comes “part 2” for me…I guess...:):):)

Have a good Friday and better than that a good weekend:)