"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Monday, May 19, 2008

"Ass-u-me" not!

The first thing they teach us in homeopathic college is to never ever ever "assume" anything about a patient...nothing is for assumption. Their perception and their story can be a world apart from our assumptions.

Well I remember how difficult it was for me to brake the habit of assumption in my students, it is so engraved in people's psyche, beyond belief...so I started to make a joke of the word when I was teaching my students there. I used to tell them: You assume and we all know what happens to those who "ass-u-me"... so “ass-u-me” not"!!!!

I think this is where I started adapting the sentence "I don't want to assume so correct me if I am wrong...." in my daily conversations. My friends always give me the look after that. But really don't you think this is where half of the problem of communication starts?

We just simply assume. We assume this is what the other person means...we assume they mean negative or positive while the reality can be so much different.

What is even more interesting for me is how the assumptions work in people's lives. I mean almost entirely everyone’s assumptions are mirror of their inner world. This is how they see the world, this is how they assume the world is and of course, this is how they react to the world they assume exists out there....

So truly what is the "real" world out there?

Every time that I get into these loops of thinking (and it is very frequent that I get into them!), I come to one conclusion: that the world out there does not exist and all there is, is an illusion or a delusion or a reflection or an assumption of our mind and psyche...and then what happens is that I feel very omnipotence AND nullipotence both AT THE SAME TIME.

It is Master Zhuang’s - Chinese philosopher- lesson after all: “I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man”.

Let's not assume either one of them!!!!

No comments: