"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

Well, I can not say – with clear conscious- that I am a “nature” person. I mean, the closest that I can get to a camping area will be if and only if there is a “Marriott” near by….I know it sounds terrible! But come on, give me some points for my brutal honesty here... it is really not in my “nature”…Not that I don’t wish it would have been different.

But I somehow managed to be in touch with one aspect of nature in my daily life… and that is really MY "nature", full of tug of wars - as my dad would comment precisely):)

I live in a suburb of a major metropolitan city. From my house to down town is little bit more than an hour if you drive in HWY’s and if there is no traffic….two big “IF”….

The neighborhood is surrounded by horse ranches and I think that was what sold the area to me (being a big fan of horses). I mean there are acres and acres of ranches just for horses – belong to a very well known family.

The ranches are sometimes separated by fields and sometimes just separated by authentic looking fences…I remember when we moved here there were acres of corn fields around….It was really magnificent…

As much as I can, I do not choose to drive in HWY. I don’t like the sensation of driving in a HWY. It gives me anxiety and it makes me feel I am really living in a jungle and it is the law of “who eats who” and “who will survive”….

Most of the time I can drive different roots other than HWY and frankly speaking all the alternative roots are much more beautiful to drive through, in all four seasons. There are fields of greens, horse ranches, a little lake….all on my way to my clinic only if I wake up earlier and get out of the house earlier (my clinic is only half an hour away from where I live)…I think it is worth it.

Today I thought about all of this…
Mostly because in last year or so, good number of those corn fields are sold to a development companies and are being made to different subdivisions…row after row of match boxes…houses so close to each other that you can open the window and put your head in the other’s bedroom and say “How you doin there?!” (Joey in “Friends”)

The other day I was driving around the neighborhood and showing the horses to my son. He was really excited because now he can see them not in the snow but in their green fields, having their “lunch” and “playing” with each other….and “look, look, that one is running and laughing” and then he makes the sound of the horse….

Watching him being so excited by seeing horses, every time that we pass through the area just beside our house, made me think of “being more friendly with nature”…I mean I admit, it will take a major genetic engineering on mamma’s part but then again that is a small price to pay for watching him be amazed by the Big Mamma Nature!

The whole experience also made me sad, knowing that piece by piece the beautiful golden fields are being replaced by match boxes…the little houses that are really ugly…and still those little ugly houses will become so beautiful to the people that live in them happily…a paradox really, just like anything else in life…

We will still have our horses around, mostly because the privet owner is a wealthy family in love with horses….

Happy Earth Day to the big Mamma Earth…May I enjoy your natural side more and more!

No comments: