"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Sunday, April 27, 2008

My "philosophical debate" haircut!

I had a haircut yesterday…FINALLY!

The haircut is exactly my usual hairdo…but I think after the “bushes” that was growing on top of my skull, everyone that saw me today, thought I have a “new” hairdo…

I received a good number of compliments and couple of them were from my friends that see me regularly!!!

They looked at me with “wow!” and “hey you cut your hair short”…which I answered: “OH! I finally trimmed it. But it is the usual length after all my haircuts”….and they said: “Really!! Isn’t your hair normally longer?”…and at this point I gave up the debate.

Because the irony is that from one perspective they are correct….cnsidering that it took such a long time for me to find a time, schedule and actually keep the schedule for the haircut…

So while in my mind as well as every time that I looked at the mirror, the usual length of my hair “was” and “is” shorter, in reality and in the eyes of others, it “was” and “is” longer…after all who am I kidding, the duration that it was longer was much more!!!

Isn’t that funny? Our perception of the world I mean…

I am always mesmerized by the concept of the perception especially every time after I have consultations with all the members of a family in one day. It happens that they all talk about one single event and when I listen I can swear that it is many different events.

Because each one has totally different perception of that event….Sometimes I even find myself in the middle of the sentence asking them: “are you sure all of you were at the same place, at the same time?”

And then it is the perception that we have of ourselves and the perception of others from us….

Let me use the same haircut story…
I have a curly hair and my son also has curly hair just like me - although in my opinion his curls are much more beautiful than mine but it is obvious where did he get this gene, considering that my husband and his family have straight hair-

He had the haircut last weekend with the same hairdresser. After his haircut (which was a major tantrum story!) he looked so handsome, more mature looking and truly beautiful…granted that it was only haricut and no blow dry and obviously no “product” (Thank GOD!)

After my haircut and blow dry, I looked in the mirror and saw who I always see after an hour in a hair salon…
Well I looked like a poodle, a very well trimmed one though….

When I voice that to my hairdresser (he is my hairdresser for 8 years so he knows my perception very well!) or my husband or any of my friends, they are shocked. They think I am really crazy….

I very well might be; no argument there. But after the blow dry and the rest of the hoopla, my perception in that mirror is still a very well trimmed poodle…

This is why every time after a hair salon visit, as soon as I come home, I wash my hair and make it my “ordinary” curly hair….my husband can never understand why I do it. Because in his perception “it looked SO beautiful”….

As you can see, we can “hear” each others’ perception, but we can NEVER “feel” each others’ perception….

So the big question is: while we can not “feel” each others’ perception, do you think we can “understand” each others’ perception…and to take it one step forward: Can we understand each other at all?

No comments: