"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The imaginary friends that I fell in love with...

I am starting to be excited about this “Blog thing”…

I have to say my quest for the holy grail on internet started few years ago with one and only "Wikipedia". Like anything else in my life, it took a long time for me to “warm up” to a new thing (I can feel my husband's sigh and nod now!)….so after a while I moved to Amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.uk!!!!

Then I moved to other sites that I needed for all sort of information about pregnancy and baby – lots and lots of baby pages and one in particular babycenter.com…then I moved to sites from which I could order stuff that I could not find in my hometown…and let’s face it shopping on line did it for me. I was hooked my dear!

Then it came the obsession with Facebook….and then as I said in the little “about me” section of my profile, out of serendipity I became a “Blogger”…the little scared me that was always a writer but more preferred old fashion way of writing (diary book…)

So I developed my new life on a place without walls – how significant for me, a person that needs lots of walls in life for her privacy and protection…a life online!!

Think about this “life online”…It is really a strange phenomenon…at this day and age we don’t know our neighbors but make what feels like deep philosophical and soulful connections with strangers that are across the country or around the world…

People who you know would have been such a close friend if they were living next door…and not in imaginary land of cyberspace!

Because let’s face it, we meet in a virtual playground...whenever we can steal a minute or two from our busy daily schedules…either when the kids are having a nap or mostly in the middle of the night…midnight when “most” of the “to do” list for the day is done, when the kids are bathed and in sleep and most of the chores are completed (or hopeless to be completed!)…especially for a person like me that is a night owl living in East coast…so I can have my imaginary friends in West coast or in Europe…

It works perfectly for me considering that I always think I have a defective “friendship Gene”…I mean I have a handful of grate and amazing friends that I am very close to…but it took such a long time to be at this point of closeness (and still except my husband no one knows about my Blog- or not yet!)…and I have a personality that makes it difficult to be close to anyone (with my perfectionism, the ultimate feeling of “being not understood” and extreme privacy and all the rest…)

So without even realizing it, on the land of no walls, strangers and I become friends because we are as different as we are alike.

I was a person that used to judge the “Blog” or “chartrooms” harshly. Because let’s face it I can easily be categorized under “cynical” personality….But let’s be honest here: there is wisdom out there for those who care to see it. Internet as a medium has such an amazing ability to allow thoughts and fears and hopes and struggles of human lives come out in the open.

So now I go through my day and realize I am wondering “what does that Blog post today?” or “Oh I have to write about this on my Blog”….

It is such a paradox….With this “life online” my world just got smaller and at the same time my world just expanded beyond imagination…

So far my “life online” is just a mindless escapism of an anonymous Internet browser and every Blog or web site that I check (and sometimes check daily) are just my 'imaginary friends'…I do not exist for them….I post my opinions for some of them under “Anonymous”….I visit them sometimes even daily but in any conventional term they are strangers to me….maybe I am afraid of the judgment on my writings and thoughts….maybe the knowledge of them knowing me – in any capacity- will make me not be free enough to be myself on my blog – and this is one place that I choose to be as free as my personality allows….

Or maybe just maybe, it is too sweet to have only imaginary friends…the ones that are always there…. and no trouble will be in the land of imagination…EVER!

1 comment:

Nava said...

This “imaginary world” with all the “imaginary friends” is one of the best descriptions of this whole internet and specifically blogging world. You know, I spent a long time just watching it before jumping into it and building my own place, as it’s in fact very similar to an actual neighborhood! People come and go, in different fancy or simple outfits, some are single, some raise their kids, some are thinking, some are learning, some are teaching, some are selling stuff, some are fighting (and believe me, I have seen some nasty fights in this cyber-world) and so on …

And then, there are new neighbors, clean and shy, trying to form their own communities, gradually and cautiously, step by step. Even the relationships resemble the ones in real world. You find somebody similar, and try to start a new relationship. Sometimes it works, they are also interested, and a new friendship is built. Sometimes it doesn’t, they are either busy with their own communities, or they just simply don’t care as much as the first days, and that ends there.

You know, it sometimes becomes so real that it’s as if you are living in two different worlds, as we are in thousand other worlds as well... Can you believe I even have dreams about some of the bloggers I have never met in my life?! But again, me and my strange dreams...

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this “imaginary world” and specially the freedom of anonymity. I like this aspect so much!