"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Love is not just a concept, it is tangible…

…. My baby showed me that!

My son is 18 and half months old (and for the record he will always be my baby)... and he already thought me a lifetime of lessons…

I was going through some of my enteries in my diary for the past 18 months. I came across this one for Dec 2006 (he was just three months old):

"....We talk about the fact that motherhood will change one's perspective of life but living and feeling it is totally different concept.

Now I am proudly a mother... and NOW I can fully comprehend the aura of love, energy, constant giving, exhaustion of physical, emotional and financial resources, and above ALL pure ecstatic connection to an innocent soul and a procreative vision of the future that makes my days fundamentally different from before.

My son is teaching me many things every second of day and night and what a good teacher he is. He teaches me the art of loving unconditionally, helps me to learn the depth of forgiveness and force me to practice an unlimited patience for EVERY task in life.
....

Every time that I look at him, every time that I feed him or change his diaper, every time that I bath him or wash his bottles and fold his never ending laundry, I think to myself: I can imagine NO ONE BUT HIM. I believe that “my” God also could not imagine anyone but HIM for me.
......

So every time I look at him, I am praying at the most sacred alter of my life. I take a smell of his pure, innocent soul and think "maybe I did SOMETHING good that I am not aware of, because divine granted me this gift and I am thankful and humble for this blessing. May God make me worthy of him!"

We – the almighty adults- believe that we are shaping our little ones lives. That we are the creator of ALL of it....that we are suppose to teach them this and that and the other…

Don’t get me wrong. I am a full believer in all the responsibilities that come with parenthood – the ones that were in the “handbook” and the ones that were not :):)

But I for one think there are many more things that we are suppose to learn from these little angles – if our arrogance and pride let us of course!

I also believe that we are suppose to "accompany" them in their path of life. We are suppose to share our experience, our wisdom- how deep or superficial it might be-, to protect them with all our heart and soul and to guide them when it is possible for us.

The reality is that they are “children of the future” and we belong to the past.

These verses of “Prophet- by Khalil Gibran” can say it much better than I can:

“Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.

They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves the bow that stays."

So my dear boy...
I want to thank you for choosing me to be one of the many souls that will accompany you in your life.

I pray that your life be full of love and laughter...that you be healthy, wise and strong...that you be brave in heart.

I pray for you to realize that our time here is limited and some of it will be blissful and some of it will be tragic and mostly it will be somewhere in between...but that is OK my sweet!

There will be sadness to which we can not always prepare ourselves for...but still we need to be brave and accepting.

I wish you always accept yourself just the way you are...to love yourself deeply and wisely....to accept your fears and demons...to love your shadow and not run away from it...

But never give in to your fears and demons as it might lead you to the path of hatred and that is my boy not why we are alive....

I want you to realize that life is precious and a gift...and that we are worthy of having it...and we should make the best of it...

I want you my love, to take chances...to take chances that I never allowed myself to take because of fear or anxieties...to take life in - all of it my boy...dance like no one is watching you…let your laughter be loud and blissful

Most certainly take precautions, as your life and health is so precious beyond belief.

But don't let cautiousness take over....I read somewhere that "look both ways before you cross the street, but cross the street"...

And above all, remember that acceptance, kindness and compassion are part of the things that make us human.

I wish for you to learn the art of loving and become a compassionate man....be ALWAYS kind to everything in the world, after all this is not your playground alone, that we are here to love and share and care for life and for the world...

And for me my sweet:
I pray that I will be worthy of the blessing of being your mother. I want to make few promises to you: that I will never force my will on you, that I never assume I know the best or even better...that I try my best to “hear” you, to “feel” you, to "understand" you and to “see your point of view in life”….

And ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS remember: Mamma loves you NO MATTER WHAT!
My love for you is not a concept, it is tangible my dearest!

No comments: