"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

Monday, April 21, 2008

little blocked nose...

Last night, close to midnight - as I was preparing myself to go to bed - all hell broke loose….what’s new really?!

Through the baby monitor I heard a sound that was not suppose to be there. My alert look and jumpy body made my husband smile. He thought our little one is snoring…I knew it is not as “funny” as that.

As I was rushing to the room, my expert ear told me that he is not breathing fast enough for a fever but heavy enough for some serious nose obstruction….

Well sad to say the diagnosis was correct - I mean half sad and half relieved. I entered the room, hold my breath and dove in…the forehead had normal temperature- NO fever. I allowed myself to breath again.

Contrary to the population's perception fever is one of the best friends to the defense mechanism and suppression of it is not a help in order to fight whatever is going on in the body!

As a homeopath I know it very well, as a mother I dread its presence very much.
As a homeopath I look for a fever especially lower than 39C as a sign of active immune system, as a mother I am scared of any degree of fever like a plague!

He did not have a fever. But the nose was totally blocked and runny at the same time…I knew major coryza is on its way. Understandably he had difficulty breathing and that made him very restless in sleep. I picked him up and while he had his eyes half open / half close, I tired to whisper to his ears that mamma will clean your nose now, OK?

He was a champ. He allowed us to pour the saline spray and then clean his little nose with nasal aspirator…then I gave him some water and rocked him to sleep….

Needless to say my very well organized plan for the night, which was a good night sleep after a very busy and full day, was gone with the wind.

I migrated to his bedroom floor to save myself from frequent trips between ours and his bedroom.
The whole procedure was repeated 5-6 times during the night – and in between he was just plain restless in his sleep. Sometimes I had to use Q-tip to clean the little nose. He was really good and helpful about it. He is used to using Saline spray to clean his nose, since he was one month old. So that is a familiar friend. But no matter what is familiar and what is not, when one is going through an illness, everything is more bothering….as the evidence of this, since this morning he is refusing any attempt for anyone to get close to that runny nose….

So he woke up early in the morning. Yes the good old fever was there…moderate but still fever. I became an expert in the measuring the fever with kiss method…a light kiss on the forehead and I am very close to actual degree…As I checked his temperature with my motherly device as well as a thermometer, I had the panic of a mother upon arrival of THE fever….Now he had a full blown runny nose….and the rest is just what comes after….

He can not be satisfied with anything, he knows mamma is listening to his every breath and is milking the situation so well.

He makes miserable cries if he does not get what he wants when he wants it….and so cleverly tries to do whatever is normally a big NO / NO…he does not want to have a nap and his eyes are falling asleep…he does not want to eat "that" but wants something else., NO! CHANGED MY MIDN, NOT "THIS" EITHER!

How cleaver are these little ones?…already know so well how to take advantage of the situation…WOW!!

And I…well I am tired and need to just take a breath and some how numb my rushing mind….I think I am using this blog for this purpose!

My mind rushes through all that I know as a health care professional and comes up with nothing….I think of all the things that I know - and I wish I did not know, that how a simple cold can turn to something else....My heart beats fast, my solar plexus is heavy with anxiety and I am just trying to keep it all together…OH, ignorance is such a bliss...No wonder that the first thing they teach you in any medical school is that you can not be the physician / homeopath for your loved ones….

I mean I know it is a plain cold…but GOD he is just miserable and that is so painful to watch….

How come as a homeopath I treat many little kids with different ailments with so much calmness and gentle mind but as a mom I am a mess?
No need to answer that….Logically I know the reason, but there is nothing logical about “LIFE”….

No comments: